MSU Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship in Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior
Applications are now being accepted for the 2021-2022 search! EEB plans to fill two postdoc positions with start dates between June 1, 2022 and September 1, 2022. The application deadline is November 12, 2021, with virtual interviews to be held in January and a decision expected by early spring.
EEB’s Presidential Postdoctoral Fellowship is a two-year position with a starting annual salary of $60,000 plus benefits, as well as a research stipend of $8,000 per year. Up to $1000 of moving expenses may be reimbursed from the research stipend in the first year. We encourage applications from candidates in any early-career stage, from finishing PhD students to current postdoctoral scholars.
The Fellow is a fully participating member of EEB at MSU and is expected to have a cutting-edge research program that bridges the interests of two or more EEB core faculty members. Candidates should contact potential faculty mentors (core EEB faculty members) before applying, as sponsoring faculty will need to submit letters of support.
The Fellow also contributes to the EEB community via a community engagement initiative. The proposed initiative is up to the discretion of the applicant, possible ideas include (but are not limited to): a workshop on diversity, equity, and inclusion, professional development, or a technical research skill; a science communication or public engagement product or event; a public science initiative, a journal discussion group; curriculum development; etc. The Fellow’s research stipend may also be used to support the community engagement initiative.
Applicants can apply via Careers@MSU (Position 724329). The required application materials should be uploaded as two separate PDF files. Applicants will also need to enter the contact information for the references willing to write letters of recommendation on behalf of the candidate. MSU will contact letter writers directly.
The first PDF should contain the following items in this order:
- Cover letter (1 page max)
- Past and future research statement: past research accomplishments and proposed research plans as an EEB postdoctoral fellow (2 pages max)
- Community engagement proposal (1 page max)
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion statement (1 page max)
- Sponsor support letter - A single letter of support co-written by at least two EEB mentors (2 pages max). The mentor letter should include a brief mentorship plan, information on where the postdoc will be housed and how they will be integrated into both sponsor’s labs, a statement of support for the proposed research, and a brief description of each sponsor’s contributions to the EEB community (service, teaching, etc.).
The second PDF should contain:
Up to two publications, preprints, or manuscripts representative of the applicant’s work (works #1 and #2 should be uploaded as a single file).
Michigan State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Questions can be directed to the committee chair: Gideon Bradburd.