MSU FOUNDATION POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP IN ECOLOGY, EVOLUTION, AND BEHAVIOR
The Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior (EEB) program at Michigan State University invites applications for the MSU Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship in Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The position is for two years, subject to review after one year, and will begin no later than September 1st, 2021. It has a starting annual salary of $60,000 plus benefits, as well as a research stipend of $8,000 per year. Up to $1000 of moving expenses may be reimbursed from the research stipend in the first year. Benefits details may be viewed here: https://hr.msu.edu/benefits/documents/Benefits_Summary.pdf. We encourage applications from candidates in any early-career stage, from finishing PhD students to current postdoctoral scholars.
RESEARCH PROGRAM: The Fellow will be a fully participating member of EEB at MSU and will be expected to have a cutting-edge research program that bridges the interests of two or more EEB core faculty members. A list of possible faculty mentors can be found here: https://eebb.natsci.msu.edu/directory/category/d/core-faculty/. Candidates should contact potential faculty mentors before applying, as sponsoring faculty will need to submit letters of support.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: The Fellow will also contribute to the EEB community via a community engagement initiative. The proposed initiative is up to the discretion of the applicant; possible ideas include (but are not limited to): a workshop on diversity, equity, and inclusion, professional development, or a technical research skill; a science communication or public engagement product or event; a public science initiative, a journal discussion group; curriculum development; etc. The Fellow’s research stipend may also be used to support the community engagement initiative.
APPLICATION COMPONENTS: APPLICATION COMPONENTS: Applications (including letters of reference) must be received by Nov 20th, 2020. Applications can be submitted here or by going to careers.msu.edu and applying to posted position #504128.
The following materials should be submitted:
- Cover letter (1 page max)
- Past and future research statement: past research accomplishments and proposed research plans as an EEB postdoctoral fellow (2-3 pages)
- Community engagement proposal (1 page max)
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion statement (1 page max)
- Up to two publications, preprints, or manuscripts representative of the applicant’s work
Additionally, applicants should arrange the following letters of support. Details on how letter writers can submit letters will also be posted to https://eebb.msu.edu/ by early October.
- A single letter of support co-written by at least two EEB mentors (2 pages max). The mentor letter should include a brief mentorship plan, information on where the postdoc will be housed and how they will be integrated into both sponsor’s labs, a statement of support for the proposed research, and a brief description of each sponsor’s contributions to the EEB community (service, teaching, etc.).
- Recommendation letters from two references that address the candidates qualifications for the position.
The review process will begin immediately after the closing date. Three candidates will be selected for a virtual visit and seminar presentation in January 2021, with a final decision in early March.
Michigan State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities. E-mail questions to committee co-chairs: Will Wetzel (email@example.com), Marjorie Weber (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Gideon Bradburd (email@example.com).